Check this out!
Rhubarb Apple Chutney
This gorgeous chutney has a tart yet sweet flavor and warm tones making it perfect for scones, crepes and pastry fillings. It is also delicious alongside pork as well as a cheese and fruit tray.
- 5 cups apples (Spartan, Golden Delicious or Jonagold are best), peeled, diced and cored
- 4 cups rhubarb, diced
- 4 cups raw sugar
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup dried cranberries, packed
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- In a large stainless steel stock pot, combine apples, sugar and rhubarb. On medium heat, bring to a boil and simmer, stirring frequently, for 15 minutes. Add lemon zest, lemon juice, cranberries, cinnamon and nutmeg. Continue to boil gently to reduce down the mixture, for 15 additional minutes.
- Ladle hot chutney into sterilized, hot jars leaving a ½” of headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace if necessary. Using a warm wash cloth dipped in vinegar, wipe jar rim and screw bands. Apply sterilized lids and rings. Hand tighten.
- Place jars in water bather and cover with 1” of water. Process half-pints for 10 minutes, pints for 15 minutes. Remember processing time does not begin until water is at a full rolling boil.
Diane, The Canning Diva