Utensils for Home Canners
We have come so far in technology from when I was a kid it just amazes me! Even something as simple and inexpensive as a magnetic lid grabber makes adding a lid to a jar so much safer. It was always a struggle fighting to get a sterilized lid out of boiling water with only a set of tongs and a pot holder. Remember the days when all we had was a set of tongs to safely empty a sterilized jar full of boiling water praying it didn’t run down our arm? Well thankfully, we’ve come a long way baby.
A Quick List of Practical and Efficient Canning Utensils For Home Canners
Now while we have made advancements in canning utensils, there are also many useless gadgets on the market. I am sure you’ve seen them – they look awesome on the infomercial but stay tucked in the back of the utensil drawer for decades. We’ve all been there. Canning and food preservation is about practicality so here is a quick list of the best canning utensils for home canners that are both practical and efficient:
- Water Bath & Pressure Canner
- There will always be two processing methods to can a variety of foods
- Some pressure canners can double as a water bather by removing the rubber lid gasket
- Headspace measuring tool
- Ensure proper headspace in jars for a good seal
- Doubles as an air bubble remover
- Jar funnel
- Save additional work scrubbing jar rims by getting the food in the jar the first time
- Waste less, can more – maximize jar space
- Magnetic Lid Grabber
- Get in and out of boiling water safely capturing one lid at a time
- Avoid touching the underside of the lid keeping it free from bacteria
- Both water bathers and pressure canners require a rack to elevate jars off the heat source
- A second rack in your tall pressure canner allows you to double stack jars doubling your yield
- Waterproof, heat resistant canning mitts
- Dish towels and pot holders conduct heat when wet, having a waterproof mitt keeps you safe
- Maintain dexterity when handling boiling-hot, wet jars
- Large slotted spoon
- While many jars can be filled with a ladle, balancing out the ratio of liquids to solids in each jar is essential to best maximize jar space
- Dishtowels and cutting boards
- Keep hot jars off cold surfaces to avoid fracturing the glass
- Dishtowels soak up water and the cutting boards elevate the jars off countertops
- Clean, terrycloth washcloths
- Reserve a separate washcloth solely for wiping jar rims and screw bands
- Wiping jar rims with a washcloth dipped in vinegar will remove food debris, kill bacteria and decreases lid failures
These are just a few of the essentials required however there is nothing wrong with expanding upon this list.
I love wearing an apron but wouldn’t consider it essential. However when it comes to safety, I have learned the hard way to protect my hands and face at all costs. For that reason, waterproof heat-resistant canning mitts have become an essential in my canning arsenal.
For more information and details on how to prepare your kitchen with canning utensils for home canning and preserving, be sure to purchase my cookbook, Canning Full Circle: Garden to Jar to Table, is print or digital.
Diane, The Canning Diva